Hull FC 33 Catalans Dragons 22

Hull FC returned to winning ways after a run of four successive defeats with a win over Catalans Dragons that was much more comfortable than the scoreline suggests.

A physical opening saw Leon Pryce clattered to the floor less than two minutes into his first game against his former club but Hull failed to take advantage with an early opportunity in the Catalans red zone.

Showing strength and pace and a willingness to work hard the Airlie Birds took the game to the visitors and seemed very much in charge of proceedings despite a failure to score until, against the run of play, Vincent Duport scrambled over in the corner to give Catalans the lead after 15 minutes, Thomas Bosc added the conversion to make it 0-6.

Catalans lead was short lived as Bosc tried to throw a ridiculous pass which Hull scrum half Marc Sneyd gleefully intercepted and raced 40 metres to score his first try for the black and whites, he then added the extras to bring the score level at 6-6 after 22 minutes.

Again Hull began to assert their authority on the game with their forwards making big yards rather too easily causing the Dragons to have to do too much tackling.

With 8 minutes to go to half time Hull hit the front. Danny Houghton scooted out of acting half, Pryce then followed suit before putting Jordan Rankin through a gap, Rankin held of 3 or 4 defenders to score, Sneyd missed the goal to leave Hull with a 10-6 lead.

Soon after that try on the left Hull then cut the Catalans defence apart down the right with a beautiful flowing move involving Pryce and Rankin again before Steve Michaels showed Catalans a clean pair of heels to race in from 30 metres, Sneyd added the goal and suddenly from being 6 points down Hull had a 10 point lead.

A few minutes later more fast hands between Sneyd and Rankin put Fetuli Talanoa in at the corner for their third try in six minutes, Sneyd kicked the touchline conversion to give Hull a 22-6 lead with two minutes to go to half time.

A bad mistake by Sneyd right on the hooter gave Catalans cheap ball and Bosc raced in to make it 22-10 at half time.

Half Time Hull FC 22 Catalans Dragons 10.

It took Hull just five minutes in the 2nd half to extend their lead as a fast passing move between Rankin and Michaels put Tom Lineham away and, despite obviously carrying an injury, the winger raced 35 metres to cross the whitewash, another Sneyd goal made it 28-10.

Lee Radford’s men finally appeared to be playing with some freedom and confidence in each other and after 56 minutes another fast move across field led to Lineham flying through the air to touchdown again in the corner to make it 32-10 and leave the game seemingly wrapped up and done.

With 16 minutes left to play Catalans were given hope as they took advantage of a loose ball to move downfield for a try by Morgan Escare but it was a very controversial try as Danny Houghton had clearly been taken out off the ball and there was also seemingly a knock on by Catalans in the build up, the goal from Bosc made it 32-16.

With 73 minutes gone Sneyd added a drop goal to make it 33-16.

In the final minute Leon Pryce saw yellow for a seemingly unfathomable reason but from the resultant penalty Catalans went downfield and Zeb Taia crashed over, the conversion from Bosc gave a final score of 33-22 that somewhat flattered the visitors.

Penalties 6-6

Goal Line Drop Outs Hull 1 Catalans 3

Man of the Match Leon Pryce

Attendance 11,994


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s